Nic Cosmos Dip Surv MRICS MB Eng Chartered Building Surveyor and Building Engineer
Expert Witness in Accommodation needs for the Disabled and Disabled Housing.
Expert Witness in Construction and Building Design.
Leasehold negotiation and disputes.
Informal property advice and preparation of pre-disclosure reports.
Building Insurance and other claims assessment.
Special areas of skill include preparation of building and housing expert witness reports for personal injury and negligence litigation cases.
Preparation of reports and professional opinion following accident claims relating to use of buildings.
Architectural Design Services;
New construction, refurbishment, extension and alteration of existing buildings.
Designing for the Disabled.
Feasibility Studies and reports for suitability of properties for Disabled Persons.
Contract management of projects from inception to completion.
Party Walls and Boundaries. Acting as Party Wall Surveyor in accordance with the Party Wall etc. Act 1996
Crane Oversail, Licences, Boundary and other adjoining owner and development matters.
Schedules of Condition and Dilapidations matters.
Advice in respect of Leases and Licenses for alterations under business tenancies and property leases.
Nic is a Director of Camplings Building Surveying Consultancy Limited, Chartered Building Surveyors.
Unit 1, Station Court, Station Approach, Borough Green, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15 8AD
Disabled adaptation design and new construction design
Designing accessible environments for the disabled requires a unique vision. Nic has designed numerous barrier-free custom homes, renovations and additions.
He is known for the caring attention given to his clients. Prior to beginning any project, he meets with a client and talks to the family and Occupational therapists or Care team to evaluate special needs and any specialist equipment requirements. He listens to what his clients have to say, and then builds those thoughts into a carefully crafted design.
Designing and building a barrier-free home is typically a once in a lifetime project. He wants to make sure the finished product will continue to meet your needs for a lifetime of use.
Nic Cosmos regularly advises on accommodation needs for the Disabled and has designed and managed numerous new construction and alteration projects for Disabled clients and their families.
He can provide design and project management advice and expertise for projects from conversion to provide an accessible bathroom, ramping or installation of a lift through to major construction projects for a completely new building.
When undertaking development, or when an adjacent owner proposes to undertake their own development, the adjoining owners and occupiers need to be considered.
Under the Party Wall etc Act 1996 any person undertaking work affecting an existing wall or structure shared with another property, building of a new wall astride or up to a neighbouring property or excavating near a neighbouring building must serve notice of their intentions.
These actions are likely to affect an adjoining owners property and the Act is intended to protect the adjoining owners interests. Many other legal rights may also be affected by proposals for land and property.
Nic Cosmos has considerable experience in Party Wall issues and can advise both developers and property owners affected by development. He can also assist where Property Boundaries and Rights of Way disputes occur or where Crane Oversail and other Licences are required.
Further information can be obtained from the Government website where you can view or download the Party Wall Act or the Government’s explanatory booklet at http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1131403
Nic Cosmos Dip Surv MRICS MB Eng CUEW MEWI
Chartered Building Surveyor and Building Engineer
Formerly of Campling Associates, Nic is a Director of Camplings Building Surveying Consultancy Limited in Kent, and regularly travels throughout the United Kingdom when acting as an Expert Witness.
Camplings Building Surveying Consultancy Limited
I have included links to a number of web sites which can provide a ready source of information, contacts and assistance
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors http://www.rics.org
The Association of Building Engineers http://www.abe.org.uk
Centre for Accessible environments http://www.cae.org.uk
Headway the brain injury association http://www.headway.org.uk/
Disability Housing Information site http://www.disabilityuk.com/masterpages/house.htm
The Pyramus & Thisbe Club http://www.partywalls.com
Riding For the Disabled http://www.rda.org.uk/
Nic is a Chartered Surveyor and qualified in the Building Surveying division of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors in 1992. He is also a Corporate Building Engineer, being a Member of the Association of Building Engineers.
He is an
assessor for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Assessment of
Professional Competence. He has practiced as a Building Surveyor since
1986 with wide ranging experience. He holds a Diploma in Building
Surveying from The College of Estate Management, a BTec Higher National
Certificate in Building Studies and a BTec Ordinary National Certificate
in Building Studies.
He has studied for and holds the Certificate of Expert Witness Accreditation from Cardiff University Law School.
Initially in an Architects Practice, Nic undertook the property management and associated upgrading, redesign and maintenance programme for a large property portfolio owned by an Ex-Armed Services charity, which included hospitals, residential homes and sheltered housing. He now regularly advises in respect of accommodation needs for the Disabled and has designed and managed numerous new construction and alteration projects for Disabled clients and their families.
He is familiar with the recommended and regulatory provisions for disabled housing and has advised and given expert opinion evidence in connection with a large number of cases involving housing needs for the disabled. In this capacity he has also acted as a Single Joint Expert and given expert opinion evidence on reported cases in the High Court. He continues to act for the Court, regularly instructed by both Claimant and Defence Solicitors.
He regularly provides reports for Trustees, Solicitors and the Court of Protection in respect of property advice and construction costs relating to Housing needs for the Disabled. He is registered in the Expert Witness Directory of independently checked Expert Witnesses and APIL the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
He has given Lectures and Presentations on Housing and Designing for the Disabled.
He is in Practice as a Director of Camplings Building Surveying Consultancy Ltd, Chartered Building Surveyors - a Chartered Surveyors practice with special expertise in designing for the disabled.
He also has special expertise acting as a party wall surveyor both within and outside the London areas, advising clients on party structure and boundary matters generally though particularly in respect of large scale commercial developments. He is a member of the Pyramus and Thisbe Club (London) of party wall surveyors.
Outside his work, he is married with two children. His interests include Horse riding and the Riding for the Disabled Association, Motorcycling, Climbing and he is a keen glider pilot when he can spare the time!
N Cosmos is committed to ensuring that this website ncosmos.co.uk is available to as many sectors of the community as possible.
2. If you browse through the Site, read pages or download information, we will automatically gather and store certain statistical information about visits to the site. This information does not identify you personally in any way, and no statistical information about visitors to the Site is sold, shared or otherwise disclosed to any third party.
3. We use this statistical information to learn about the number of visitors to the Site, the technology they use and the time spent on each section of the Site, or where they clicked through to the Site from. We do not track or record information about the identity of individuals and their visits.
4. We make all reasonable efforts to ensure that the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 are complied with. If you choose to contact us through the Site, we will keep your information confidential and won’t share, sell, or otherwise disclose your details to any third parties, excepting where we believe in good faith that the law requires disclosure.
5. Any information you send us, including your email address or your name, will not be correlated or linked to the statistical material that is automatically collected as mentioned above.
6. From time to time we also may send emails to the addresses you supply giving information which may be of interest to you, however if you do not wish your details to be retained, please let us know, and we will delete your details from our clients database.
7. Be aware that E-mail communications are not generally considered to be "secure" on the internet, which means that third parties could potentially intercept and read or (in extreme cases) tamper with the content of such e-mails. We will do our best to make sure your information on the internet is secure, but we cannot be held responsible for the actions of "hackers" or other computer criminals.
9. www.ncosmos.co.uk does not intend to collect personal information from children. If you are 16 years old or younger, you should not provide information on this Web site and should ask a parent to do so for you.
Changes to This Policy